Loading system for car top versus buddy in car body repair? - Kayak Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #1

Default Loading system for car top versus buddy in car body repair?

For over 50 years Ive simply horsed my boat onto the top of a station wagon, van or SUV, with help of a buddy when available. Lately I've been looking at a wide range of clever products to enable pain free solo loading of your boat onto your roof rack, even a Rhino product that eliminates all lifting and uses a cordless drill to power the cable -winder system that pulls the boat up onto the loader rails, up the side of the car and onto the roof racks. As the shoulder reminds me more and more of a rotator cuff tear in years past, I think I will either purchase or,more likely, build from scratch one of these devices. I like the tilting loaders that slide into the receiver hitch and automatically tilt forward or back as needed as you push or pull your boat, then lock in the upright position and serve as a third load bearing point.

There is not much level land here in the mountains of western North Carolina and my driveway is not one of those level spots. While loading my canoe onto the top of my van last year, I had to pull the van far enough out of the garage to allow the stern end of that 18 foot boat to clear the garage door, so that meant getting well down onto the sloping part of the drive. Working from the side, I picked the canoe up at its balance point and lifted it overhead and set one gunnel onto the roof racks and slid it toward the centerline of the car. Then, deciding it needed to be a bit farther forward, I walked around to the rear and gave a the canoe a little shove...gravity took over and the canoe slid right off the racks, down the hood of the van and momentum carried it about 30 feet down the asphalt drive! I had just waxed the canoe exterior for the upcoming fishing season. I learned the hard way to immediately secure a retainer strap between the roof rack and a thwart as soon as I get the boat up.

Native Manta Ray 11
Old Town Columbia 18
Old Town Kennebec 16
mangonboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #2

post up a link to the kind of product you are referring to. I usually just throw it ontop by myself while struggling greatly

markusbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #3

Rhino is an Australian company but their T loader is available at several outlets in the USA, Rhino Rack - Rhino-Rack T-Load - RTL001.

Their "Tinny" loader that uses a cordless drill to load your boat on top your car is overkill for a kayak, but very cool.

Native Manta Ray 11
Old Town Columbia 18
Old Town Kennebec 16
mangonboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

that is very cool. interesting that a cordless drill has enough torque and power to raise a small boat... must be one crazy drill...

Old 02-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #5

It also looked like your typical 18v cordless drill, i wonder if at any time the tension was too much for the drill, he didn't mention anything about it being a problem.

DeepWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #6

Not sure if I want to put my precious makita and dewalts through that.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusbest View Post
Not sure if I want to put my precious makita and dewalts through that.
Same here.

Ideally an air gun would easily take on this job due to the amount of torque they put out but that's not going to happen for most of us.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #8

well you wouldn't have one on you out there. but if i was at home I have a compress in the garage I can run a drill to and use it when loading from home.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #9

If you have other uses for an air setup then by all means go ahead and use it for this but if it will only be for this, it might be a waste.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #10

well yea i use my compressor for other things. thats why i already have one.