Anyone in NW Arkansas? - Page 2 - Kayak Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #11

Truth is, so far a few bream is about it. I DID see a gal's rod get jerked in off the bank the second time we went there. Not sure what species did that. The water is still cold from its discharge from Greers Ferry lake about 30 miles west.
I have seen a big freshwater drum at that boat ramp and lots of small motorboats launch from there to head upstream probably to the overflow dam area a ways up.
Walleye have been stocked in in recent years and reportedly caught in that section. Someone also mentioned channel cats. Crappie.
I've seen small silver fish, likely a member of the shad family, or goldeye there. Wife caught a slender silver fish with orange front fins, no clue what it was.

There is limited access to the Little Red around Searcy but a few places work. Near the VFW there a person could put in with a bit of effort, there's the boat launch just east of town, and a city park and ramp between the two dams where it's more flat water and a slower current. It's not so far from Searcy to the White River via the Little Red as well but I'm not clear on access there. I'm told there is a small community at the meeting of the two rivers, called Georgetown, which has a ramp. Very small and very old town with not much there any more. From what I've heard though, between Searcy and the White River there is a lot of backwater which supports crappie pretty well.

When the dam was built to make Greers Ferry Lake, the discharge water was so cold it eliminated the local species like largemouth bass, catfish, and others.
Patk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #12

To continue, that's when trout and walleye were introduced below the dam, and the trout thrived. There have been some big walleye as well but it's in the actual lake, which is over 200 feet deep I believe. Never been to that lake really. It's fed by three major river branches and creeks as well. Mostly, the Little Red has been easier to access below the lake and around Searcy, so it's been a better choice for us. I am so recent as far as kayak goes, I am rethinking some about where and how to fish.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #13

rethinking the process and refining it sure does help to make it the best possible experience, how long have you been kayak fishing for?

DeepWaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #14

I just got started this past season DW. Sold a Bass Raider with troller etc to get into a more solo approach. Wife has decided to stay with bank fishing so a 2 seat boat wasn't really working any more.
The yak is an easy load/unload. I am still a klutzy novice! And there are some mods I want to do like a shade and pontoons maybe, some other things. Once I get a hard bed cover for the truck- Nissan Titan- I plan to put a rack mount for the kayak there as well. In a few years we will be on the road full time and I plan to fish the waters wherever we are.

I'm no stranger to boats, grew up on sailboats, motorboats, rowboats, rubber raft and ski boats not to mention some canoe adventures.

I'll be 60 in a few months. I think the simplicity of a kayak is going to be great.

It hit mid 30's here last night. For me kayak season is over!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #15

Wow, good to know that even at 60 you're still playing on the water!

Old 11-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #16

You should see me enter and exit. So far it's sorta slapstick!
Old 11-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patk View Post
You should see me enter and exit. So far it's sorta slapstick!
strap on some gopro cameras and give us an first person look

Old 11-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #18

Perhaps next year. I'm done this season since it's getting cold. We expect some snow this season here.
Should I shed the kayak? Or put it under a tarp?

I plan to make outriggers for it next spring, maybe quit falling in and out of it!
Old 02-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #19

Shed for sure and I believe you mentioned in another thread that it is what you did.

Looking forward to that gopro coverage

Old 05-11-2021, 01:27 AM   #20

I've been out just a few times. Once to one of the feeders to Lake Maumelle. It's called Sleepy Hollow and it's about 1 mile west of the lake just off Highway steering cables 10. Nice body of water and it feeds the lake. Other than that it's been a few small city lakes.
Parisotsb is offline   Reply With Quote