Kayak Bass Angling - Kayak Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #1

Default Kayak Bass Angling

Bass are a fairly common species of fish and one that can be found with relative ease across North American fresh water, so I figured laying down some tips, tricks and facts could lead to a productive discussion. Please keep in mind as you're reading I am by no means attempting to come across as an expert, just sharing what I have found success with in my areas...

Gear
  • Depending on the size of your rig and the breadth of your cupboard you would do well to have at least two rods with you.
  • Line from 10 to 50 pound test rating, you want heavy line for when the bass tries to break for thick cover, a lighter line will snap easily if you're not working with the correct drag on your reel. I've been successful with hook sizes 1 and 2 for typical live or synthetic bait.
  • If using bait I've found that loading the hook with bait, say several grubs (live or synthetic) is far better for attracting the big ones, a small single piece of bait is more than likely to attract crappies or pan fish.
  • If you prefer lures, go for the spinning variety, preferably flecked with silver. Use lighter and smaller rods and reels with 4 to 8 pound line.

Tips:
  • Dont stick to one location just because you've pulled a bass out, they move with the tide so keep that in mind.
  • Bass like rocky areas the most.
  • Bass angling from a Kayak means you can stay on those outer areas long after shore fishers have packed it in.
  • Trolling a plug lure out behind your kayak is a good way to attract fish as you move across rocky or sandy shoals. Put the rod in the holder, set your drag appropriately so the reel will take the first bite. The noise of the drag will alert you so dont worry about missing a thing.
  • Bass like to attack prey from below, so keep that in mind when trying to find an appropriate depth for your lure.
  • Buy your lures in pairs, Murphy's law dictates that if your lure is working well that day it will be lost to a snag. Certainly.
  • Bass fishing from a Kayak allows you to access small ponds and rivers that powerboats cannot. A good trick is to fish small backwaters that are connected with larger bodies known for bass populations. Thats right, use a map. If good bass can be found in the larger body they will certainly be found in the back waters, also because backwaters see less traffic the fishing is usually excellent.
  • When using shot line flips or jigs in weedy pockets, cast out in front of the nose of the kayak, that why when you set the hook it is against the lengthwise stability of the kayak and not across which leads to rocking.
  • Because your low in the water on a kayak you can use sidearm techniques to get under overhangs in those coveted shady and weedy areas you know they love.

I suppose that is a good enough place to start, hopefully you guys can add your own personal anecdotes and morsels and we can build a great resource for ourselves

Last edited by mick; 03-28-2014 at 10:35 AM.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #2

excellent writeup.

i like the part about the lucky lure
oh how many lucky lures ive lost...

nothing beats bass fishing in a kayak

it beats a small boat, it beats striding through water in a dry suit, it beats those funky large waterboards that throw people off

it doesnt disturb the water too much if you are careful with your paddles.

bass get freaked out easily. and its true that it allows you to get to the really hidden areas without distrubing the area too much. and that is KEY

markusbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusbest View Post
excellent writeup.

i like the part about the lucky lure
oh how many lucky lures ive lost...

nothing beats bass fishing in a kayak

it beats a small boat, it beats striding through water in a dry suit, it beats those funky large waterboards that throw people off

it doesnt disturb the water too much if you are careful with your paddles.

bass get freaked out easily. and its true that it allows you to get to the really hidden areas without distrubing the area too much. and that is KEY
Exactly! That was also the point behind casting out infront of the yak as opposed to out the sides, casting forward minimizes rock, sideways out will always cause a bit of rock, a bit of ripple, a BIG alert to your presence.

I like yakkin because even in the midday when all the shoremen have given up until after supper you can stay on the prowl in little hidden backwaters and really attack those shady rock shoals...
mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #4

There are also these boards that do a good job at not making a huge wave

Old 04-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

Great info. This will come in handy when im ready for go bass fishing

DeepWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #6

Thanks for writing this up for us.

Great tips section and I like the advice to visit different areas on your trip, especially the areas that are less accessible by larger boats and stuff. I think I prefer using bait instead of lures. I just feel like food is better at attracting things than something shiny.
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #7

Good in theory sounds like it works and people i know that do fish prefer using it

Old 04-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #8

just dont be discouraged if you dont catch anything the first time
because i didnt.

bass fishing takes patience. and it doesnt always fall through

Old 04-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #9

Thats what I heard, it's about patience, even if you don't catch anything, just enjoy the time you spend on the water.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #10

there are also slightly different techniques depending on what kinda bass you are fishing for