Selecting Your Fishing Kayak - Kayak Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #1

Default Selecting Your Fishing Kayak

Fishing with a paddle saves time, money and gas. Which rig fits your fishing style and home waters?

Sit on Top:

There are several traditional sit-in kayaks that are geared towards fishing (especially in rough or cold water) but sit-ons provide several advantages. For one mobility, in a sit-on you can readjust your legs to relieve sore parts. They're easier to get in and out of and provide more customization options than traditional sit-ins.

Drawbacks include heavier weight and susceptible to winds (which kayak isn't). Not for those with heart conditions, but great exercise and great for those on a shoe string budget.

Electric Power:

Kayaks are now available with built in trolling motors. Electric kayaks offer all the benefits of sit-on kayaks with none of its drawbacks. Traditional kayak fishermen will look down at you but does it matter if you're catching more prizes?

Drawbacks to an electric kayak are simply price. They are expensive rigs but still a good chunk cheaper then even the most run down tin rig you can find on craigslist.

Pedal Driven:

Why not put your strongest muscles to use. Biggest advantages off a pedal kayak are hands free mobility. With paddles the minute you reach for your rod you are at the mercy of wind and currant. Pedals allow you to hover in place and are MUCH cheaper than their electric driven counterparts.

Only drawback is you cannot pedal in reverse.

Paddleboarding:

stand up paddle boards are gaining popularity, many of them are large and sturdy enough for even you big boys out there. Standing allows you to see more of the water you're fishing, allows you to use your full range of motion when casting and they are extremely portable and light.

Disadvantages are obvious, one strong gust and you've been dunked. They're best in sheltered bays and calm days.

So take some time and analyze what kind of fishing you are going to be doing, take into consideration your main fishing waters and go from there...
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #2

I use a sit on top kayak because it won't sink if you turn over. It also uses a paddle and I like the physicality of kayak fishing so I wouldn't go with an electric kayak.

Can't imagine the standing paddle board though. i don't think I would be able to keep my balance. And ideally I would not like to fall into the water while fishing.
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #3

gotta get one of these jet powered kayaks

If you like a little speed you know ahahaa

Old 11-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #4

Got to love how some people use those jet powered kayaks, some using it as a surf board hahahaa

DeepWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #5

I would try to choose something that is wider

More stable. Something with some storage for buckets. Storage for your equipment. Something that is lightweight.

markusbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusbest View Post
I would try to choose something that is wider

More stable. Something with some storage for buckets. Storage for your equipment. Something that is lightweight.
This should vary for people, all depending what you want of course.
Seems like you are one of the kayakers out their that carry a lot and demand a lot from a Kayak

DeepWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #7

@markusbest

sounds like you could use one of these manta rays

or this freedom hawk

they split for stability and come together for SPEED
Old 06-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #8

Default jackson Yak Attack Big Rig

My son and I got into kayak fishing about three years ago. He has an old Heritage Redfish and I have a battleship of a boat that I purchased at Dicks. I am looking to move into something better. From looking at the website I really like this YakAttack Big Rig. Any opinions on this boat? Any other boats you recommend? We go from inshore fishing, rivers, and lakes. Just trying to find a good overall boat. So any advice would be welcome.
Oldpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #9

Default New to kayaks

I am curious about what is bad about kayaks if you have a heart condition. Reason I ask is that I just had double bypass surgery at the end of Mar. and my doctor thinks that kayak fishing would be good exercise since I have to give up my motorcycles. I have always enjoyed fishing and figured that with a kayak it would be a nice relaxing sport.
bbbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #10

Default Kayak Selection

I'm in the process of purchasing my first new fishing kayak and looking for a little advise. After careful research, I'm looking to purchase a sit on top kayak, at least 12ft long and must have a stable platform so that I can stand up and cast. I would like to keep the it under $1000 dollars. Right now I've narrowed it down to the following kayaks: bigfish 120, nucanoe flint and recently added sea ghost 120.

The waters I will be fishing in is inshore saltwater flats, rivers and lakes, mostly slow moving waters. Just looking to get the fishing kayak world's feedback on these choices.
tobb14 is offline   Reply With Quote